It really began in 1991 (or 1990, if we count Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait), but the current phase began in 2003 because we could. Let this be the end of it.
Timeline: U.S. Troops in Iraq (source: BBC News)
- March 2003 – Operation Iraqi Freedom begins with a “shock and awe” assault on Baghdad, which falls in under a month
- May 2003 – President George Bush declares “mission accomplished”
- Dec 2003 – Saddam Hussein captured in a bunker south of Tikrit
- April 2004 – Photos emerge showing abuse of detainees at Abu Ghraib prison
- 2005 – Suicide attacks in Iraq hit all-time high as insurgency spreads
- January 2007 – US troop “surge” begins, leading to a drop in violence by 2008
- August 2010 – Last US combat troops leave Iraq
Ending an earlier war: Saigon, Vietnam, 1975. Fleeing the U.S. Embassy.